Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Grumpy Troll Restaurant and Brewery (Mount Horeb, WI)

8/7/09

Met some friends at the Grumpy Troll on the way from New Glarus to Madison for the pre-Great Taste (2009) parties. Nice atmosphere and very accommodating waitress.  I've been trying to get here for a while since the Grumpy Troll pops up in my reading quite often and has a pretty good reputation. However, the beers didn't really live up to my expectations, which were evidently too high. All of the beers are good and well brewed, but nothing really blew me away as something I'd order over and over again. None of my usual dreaming of living down the street when I find a great pub or bar.

The Imperial Stout was good, and Curly, an amber smoked ale, was also unique and well done. The Norwegian Wit was probably my favorite of the stop as a nice twist on the style. Food was also good but odd--an opened face black bean burger, which was spicy black beans over a bun that wasn't exactly a burger but interestingly did its job. Not a bad stop and enjoyed the beer, food and friends--but I wouldn't drive out of my way again from the freeway to get there.  If I even find myself in Mount Horeb for another reason, I would be perfectly happy to stop again.

No comments:

Post a Comment