Tuesday, July 17, 2012

5 O'Clock Shadow (Grand Teton Brewing, Victor, ID)


Pours with a dark tan head that's two tone with brown as it swirls.  Head falls quickly over a a nearly pitch black beer with ever so slight ruby highlights along the edge.  Very clean, singular roast in the nose with a little bit of chocolate. Roast and chocolate follows in the taste with a sweet maltiness. Bitter roast finish that lingers a bit--almost too much.  My notes say I had a draft on my wife's birthday at Grumpy's, but I don't remember much about it.  I was either entranced by my wife or the beer didn't make much of an impression.  Gloria likes schwarzbier and there's no note that she liked it. 


In the final analysis, it's a good beer but the roast is out of balance with the smooth lager characteristics.  Had this beer twice and that's going to be enough.  If you like a a heavy roast, give it a shot.  If not, find another dark lager.

No comments:

Post a Comment