Friday, June 15, 2007

Herkimer Pub & Brewery (Minneapolis, MN)

The last time I was here in 2001, Herkimer was having some problems. Two beers were on tap, the food was mediocre at best, and seemed very overpriced. The prices haven't come down much, but the beer has clearly improved and I've heard the food has as well. They are making progress.

Inside is well maintained, clean, somewhat open and sterile when empty, but has lots of room for weekend uptown crowds. The patio is in the alley behind concrete barricades, but the people I saw in it seemed to be having a good time. The two beers I had, Toolies Weiss and the Alt Bier were both good but not great. The weiss seemed a bit out of balance, but refreshing and fairly well done. The alt had a slightly astringent taste in it, but was adequate as well.

If someone invited me to Herkimer, I'd go without hesitation. Perfectly fine and the menu looks like it has a couple interesting vegetarian options that weren't there before, so that would be worth a try with a couple of new beers. But, I doubt I'll go too far out of my way to get to Herkimer myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment