Sunday, April 1, 2012

Isolation Ale (Odell Brewing, Fort Collins, CO)

Odell is a great brewery, and I keep trying the Isolation Ale thinking I should like it and never warm up to it completely.

Thin white head with a lace over a copper colored ale that changes from gold to amber in the bar light.  Strong malt, caramel and toffee in the nose--subtle spice from the hop and a hotness from the alcohol.  Newcastle like taste, mostly the malt but much hoppier and it has a mineral twang over sweet caramel and toffee.  Fruity and floral hop punches through the apparent alcohol (6% accroding to BA).  Good beer, well brewed--I'm just not a fan of it.

For myself, I need to research a bit more what the source of the mineral taste in this beer, a similar taste that shows up in Scottish and English ales that seems to be off putting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment