Friday, April 6, 2012

Film Review: How Beer Saved the World

from IMDB.com
On Netflix instant presently is the documentary How Beer Saved the World.  Hard not to click.

I had read about and knew nearly all of the information before, so the documentary's information is basically accurate.  However, the claims presented push the hyperbole to the extreme. According to the film, beer is basically responsible for all of human history--at least the positive parts.  If you look past this flaw, it's educational and fun, though the depth of the analysis is sophomoric.

One "error" that I noticed was the famously misquoted phrase attributed to Ben Franklin that says "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  I've read several articles (none that I can cite at the moment) that basically debunk this myth.  I'm guessing other similar mistakes are perpetuated in the film, but I'm not inclined to be the fact checking type.

So enjoy, learn a bit and don't take life--or this film--too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment