Saturday, July 27, 2013

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew (Longmount, CO)


7/14/12

After a spectacular day in Rocky Mountain National Park, a disappointing stop at Estes Park Brewery and a warm up visit to Left Hand Brewery, I was looking forward to dinner at Oskar Blues for some of my favorite Colorado beers on tap. Very busy on a Saturday night, I waited with friends for a table with a draft of Deviant Dale's (aka Double D), which was excellent and DD has found an occasional home in my beer fridge whenever I go on a beer run to Hudson, WI.  

When we got a table, the band upstairs was playing so loud that I put in ear plugs and could hear the discussion better.  Absolutely miserable, worse even than our Cask Republic. After appetizers, we asked to be moved and they kindly put us outside on the patio and our night improved immensely. When I mentioned the ear splitting noise to a waiter, the response was "that's Oskar Blues," as if it was self evident.  

The rest of my beers on the night were Oskar Blues standards except Renegade Ryeteous IPA, which was good but didn't have as much hop and rye twang as I had hoped.  Food was good too, especially the fried pickles with hot sauce. Overall, Oskar Blues was a good beer experience and I'm happy to have added them to my list. I appreciate their pioneering efforts at canning craft beer and now understand somewhat  the Oskar Blues attitude that enabled them to be to be leaders. However, I wish I had known of the raucous nature of the bar and visited earlier in the day for a more comfortable time.

No comments:

Post a Comment