Thursday, October 12, 2006

Hereford & Hops Restaurant & Brewpub (Wausau, WI)

Hereford & Hops Wausau is sadly closed according to its BeerAdvocate listing.  

This was a very pleasant surprise on our bus tour. I had stopped at another H&H a couple of years ago, and didn't have a negative image of the brewpub but not overly impressed either. The H&H in Wausau changed that for me. 

Very clean, upscale appearing place when you walk in the door. The seemed a bit unprepared for our large group (30+) in spite of expecting us, but quickly recovered to be fine hosts as the beer flowed and we participated in a very informative brewery tour. Didn't look at the menu much, but shared a awesome blossom with someone else. Very good, as good as Outback who is famous for it. 

Great selection of beers from a fizzy Razberi to a deep black Schwarzbier. The Schwarzbier and ESB were especially strong beers. If I lived in Wausau, I'd be happy drinking either for life. Excellent job. Plus they keep a few beers in rotation, and the brewer had a adventuresome spirit so only more good things are to come. Besides Fitger's, this was the only place of 11 brew pubs that I took another growler home. 

Funny name, good beer. Check it out. (October 2006) 

On my second visit (June 2007), I found nothing that change my rating of this place. Good service, but I was the only one at the bar, so that helps. And, every beer was good and I filled my growler with Schwarzbier again. Cool pub in central Wisconsin that is worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment