Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Hopfen Ublich (Town Hall Brewery, Minneapolis, MN)

Met a friend at my usual friend meeting spot last Monday night and ordered Hopfen Ublich for no other reason that I hadn't heard of it until I walked in the door.  I love Town Hall because I trust that every tap is worth drinking.

When the draft showed, I was bit surprised at the shimmering pale straw ale with a stark white head in front of me.  Fresh, beautiful nose of Hallertau Mittelfruh hops: floral, spice and light fruitiness.  Hops blend well with a fresh breadiness.  The Floor Malted Pilsner seems to make the beer, but I would have never guessed it without reading.  In the taste, the malt is the equivalent of eating a newly made loaf of oven loaf bread.  Full and enlivening, the double pilsner hop punch floats a pleasant bitterness above the sweet malt.  Fullest mouthfeel I've ever had from a beer this light in color.

This is a great beer and just one in series of  reasons why I sing the deserved praises of Mike Hoops and staff at Town Hall Brewery.

From Town Hall's website:

Roughly translated - "Hops Traditional"

A very special double lager!  We gained access to some of the only Floor Malted Pilsner available.  The Floor malting process is way old school and a very traditional method of grain modification.  This is extremely high quality barley used in this beer.

The hops are Hallertau Mittelfruh, one of the German Noble hops (very traditional to Hallertau region of Germany.)  We used massive amounts of this hop in leaf format (our system is designed for pelletized hops) that created a challenge in the brewery.

The result is a beautiful pale double lager/pilsner that we are very pleased to be serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment