Thursday, September 20, 2012

16th Anniversary IPA (Stone Brewing, Escondido, CA)

Second bottle of 16th Anniversary from Stone and really love this beer.  A quick look at BA and... it seems I'm in the minority.  So be it.

Sunset orange ale in the glass with yellow highlights around the edge.  Creamy fluff for a head that lingers for a long time.  Assertive nose of grapefruit, clear lemon, full spice and toasted malt.  Taste is sharply acidic and full bodied.  Rye from the description shows up as a lingering spice on the tongue.  This IPA fills the mouth with malt and spice that doesn't disappear.  Along with the nose, it's a full experience.  According to Stone, lemon verdena is in this beer, a lemon scented herb (I didn't know).

I have a weakness for lemongrass and lemon beers, so this one is no different.  I enjoy it a lot.  My buddy Al likes it better than some of the BA reviews as well, so I'll stand with Al.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with the majority on this one as well, unfortunately. I love lemon in beers, but this one just didn't do it for me at all. Bought three and gave the last two away. Good thing we don't all like the same things. It'd get pretty boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed--full range of beers is important--and more fun!

    ReplyDelete