Friday, September 7, 2012

Birch Bock (Alaskan Brewing, Juneau, AK)

Picked up a bottle of Alaskan Birch Bock based on a sample at the St. Paul Summer Fest a few weeks ago.  I have an affinity for "tree" beers after helping make a spruce ale with the MN Home Brewers at the first Teach a Friend to Homebrew day in 2005.  The experience helped me get into homebrewing more, so "tree" beers have an odd emotional appeal to me.

Classic doppelbock color: deep copper to ruby. Dirty white head falls quickly over alcohol hotness and deep malt with a clear birch nose.  Dark fruits and malt are smoothed by a slick oiliness over, what I assume, is a birch spicy note since it's low on hops.  Very fun to drink.

Not a knock-your-socks off beer, but a testament to the creativity of the beer world.  I like it and would drink it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment