Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Double Bastard (Stone Brewing, Escondido, CA)

I have had so much trouble getting a hold of this beer in the past.  Never in any of the Wisconsin, Illinois or Indiana liquor stores that I used to pick up Stone at in the dark times that my beloved wasn't sold in Minnesota.  Now, I run into it at my corner, back-up store.  Excellent.  Double Bastard sounds like a playground taunt, but clearly a big brother to Arrogant Bastard Ale.

Hazy dark brown ale with copper highlights in the thinner parts of the glass. Thin tan head falls quickly to a whispy fillm. Hot, whiskey like nose that clears the sinuses. Malt, dark fruit, burnt cherry pie, caramel blend for a complex and extremely assertive nose. Predominate hop bite in the taste--blistering bitterness with resin. Oily mouthfeel with strong malt, chocolate, raisins and figs. Love this beer. I can see where some might not like the overly assertive qualities, but cherishing them at the moment. High on my all time favorite list, so I need to acquire some more.  Thinking that some age might have some very interesting effects.

If you don't mind the hot alcohol, let it warm up and have a nice afternoon.  Sip this one when you have the time on a Sunday afternoon through a full football game.  If not, drink cold and fast--careful walking afterwards.  The 10% is apparent in the smell, taste--everything really.  Drink, enjoy and consume life as it should be--with great beer.

If all is well with the world, I'll find myself drinking at Stone World Bistro on Saturday.  Hope, hope, hope!  Next week, I should have pics and a report on the pilgrimage.


3 comments:

  1. Never had the Double Bastard, but found Oaked Arrogant Bastard when visiting my brother-in-law in Phoenix. It was horrible straight from the fridge, but got to be wonderful after it had been out for 45 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OAB is good, but I like DB better. I like oak, but it seemed too strong for in the OAB. Maybe I didn't let it warm up enough. Since you liked OAB, definitely try the DB--you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a hankering for Stone or any other West Coast available beers, just holler. I've been trading shipments with Kat and Sharon and would be happy to fulfill a beer shopping list for you, too.

    ReplyDelete