Sunday, May 27, 2012

Infinium (Boston Beer Co, Boston, MA)

Picked up a bottle of Infinium at Happy Harry's Bottle Shop while on a visit to my nephew in Grand Forks.  Odd place to pick up a bottle of Biere de Champagne, but I saw on the neck label that it is a collaboration brew between Sam Adams and Weihenstephaner, the oldest brewery in the world (if you haven't had their hefeweissbier, a draft is a must).  Pairing these two great breweries seemed like a must try, regardless of the outcome.

A bubbly white head dissipates quickly to a very thin film on top of a whiskey colored ale.  Light spice, heavily caramelized malt, dried raisins, figs and very apparent alcohol in the nose on top of a floral earthiness.  Syrupy sweet and oily on the tongue along with a distinct bubbly carbonation that tingles. Dark fruit, raisin, and yeast flavors expand as it warms.  Interesting and odd at the same time.

If you are expecting Deus from this champagne beer, you'll be disappointed.  Watching the video on the Boston Beer website made it clear that the goal was to create a beer style that had never brewed before, even in the 1000 year history of Weihenstephaner.  From my two samples, they accomplished their goal.  Infinium is both perplexing, challenging and defies any beer definition I have in my head.  If you're looking for a unique collaboration beer, drink a bottle--or two like me.  However, while I've enjoyed this beer, I doubt I'd pick up another if it crossed my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment