Tuesday, June 12, 2012

birth of a beer obsession (part 2) Rolling Rock

birth of a beer obsession (part 1)

Rolling Rock was my original gateway beer--the one I hide in the closet.  When living in California, I would pick up a 22 oz bottle of RR and a Tombstone pepperoni pizza on the way home from speech or debate tournaments.  For the sake of self edification, I'm once again popping the top on the iconic green bottle to see what I was thinking.

Stark white head that's fluffy but falls to nearly nothing on top of a barely gold lager.  Poured beautifully into the glass as the effervescent bubbles created the head.  Unfortunately, that was the best part of the beer.  With a heavy swirl, I was able to pull the smell of mostly corn into the nose with extremely light floral and apple notes.  Watery mouthfeel that is mostly cream corn but a slight spice hidden underneath.

While this may have been my first regular beer (for several years), this is hopefully my last bottle of the Extra Pale.  Nothing really wrong with the beer if you're looking for a macro-adjunct American lager that's extremely light.  Rolling Rock is cleanly brewed with no imperfections.  It is exactly as advertised.

One thing that might've got me back in the day--the upscale pitch on the back of the bottle: "From the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe we tender this premium beer for your enjoyment, as a tribute to your good taste.  It comes from the mountain springs to you"  "33".  I can be a bit of a sucker for context, a weakness that I always consider when drinking beer today.

birth of a beer obsession (part 3) Blue Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment