Sunday, June 10, 2012

Laurel Tavern (Studio City, CA)

12/2/11

Instead of going to one of the big shows on our recent December trip to Los Angeles, we saw Love Sick at Theater Asylum in Hollywood.  After an interesting and educational evening in the underbelly of Hollywood theater, I headed to Laurel Tavern in Studio City to see Stacey, a former student from when I taught at Taft High School, for her birthday gathering of friends.

Laurel Tavern was a good stop to see an old friend and meet a few new ones, but it started out weird.  I'm walking into the bar and someone--the bouncer as it turns out--steps in front of me.  Only in LA do you have to stand in line to get into a beer bar.  Evidently I've lived in the Midwest long enough that standing in line to get into a bar isn't acceptable, especially when it's vacation time.

After 20 min or so, I was inside, saying hello and drinking a Bayhawk Chocolate Porter.  Solid brew and well served, one of sixteen taps of mostly west coast craft beers.  I can see where Laurel Tavern is a good local pub and the menu looks above average.  While the beer was well served , I struggled to find something new to have from a decent but not inspiring beer list.  Fine if you're meeting a friend, but I wouldn't go out of my way for Laurel Tavern again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment