Tuesday, June 12, 2012

birth of a beer obsession (part 3) Blue Moon

birth of a beer obsession (part 1)

birth of a beer obsession (part 2) Rolling Rock

The fluffy white head pours hard and dissipates almost immediately.  Shimmering gold with amber highlights for the body.  Light spice in the nose that is the standard wit beer orange peel and coriander with a bit of floral hoppiness underneath.  Sweet, fruity taste that lingers with a bit of spice along the sides of the tongue.  Sits in the mouth well, which is one of the characteristics I originally liked about this beer.

Tonight's bottle isn't the draft beer that I had in the Chicago Bennigan's over a decade ago.  That's my fault since it took me a while to get to this post.  Recently, I had a draft of Blue Moon when at a non-geek bar. Blue Moon tends to be my standard back up beer when it's the best beer in the tap line up.  It tends to be fresh in most places.  Guessing Blue Moon moves well to make it my a safe choice.

I still like this beer and will claim it as my gateway beer over Rolling Rock--unless pushed.  While Rolling Rock is a cleanly brewed beer, it lacks a the craft quality to really serve as a gateway beer.  However, between my lack of knowledge and the state of beer in the early 1990s, I think I can be forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment