Friday, June 1, 2012

Size 7 (Steel Toe Brewing, St. Louis Park, MN)

Size 7 is quickly becoming one of my favorite IPAs and gives me a strong reason to head back to Steel Toe for more growlers.  The attached photo is confusing because I just got my new glass from Lucid for my contribution to the kickstarter program.  No Lucid in the house, so Steel Toe is the inaugural beer.

Fluffy white head lingers to a lace on top of the copper ale that's shiny gold around the back lit edges.  Strong hop nose that's very much in the northwest style.  Heavy citrus, grapefruit with light spice and floral notes.  Sweet, light malt hides underneath an assertive, raw hop bitterness that lingers--a favorite characteristic of mine that I can see why others might find too much in the beer.

My senses of smell and taste are not as acute as some, so I often joke that if I like a beer a lot that it may be out of balance.  Steel Toe's quote on this beer:  If you ever call Size 7 balanced we’ll kick you where it hurts (in the hop sack).

As I finish this post, I'm polishing off the last pint of two growlers of Size 7 that I've worked through during the week.   This is a great daily IPA to satisfy the hop monster, right to the last pint. Drink this beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment