Friday, October 19, 2012

Brimstone Tripel (Boom Island, Minneapolis, MN)

Creamy white head with small, tight bubbles on top of this straw gold tripel from Boom Island. Spicy nose with lemon, slight citrus, pepper, some alcohol hotness and a surprising earthiness on top of sweetness.  Not overly complex, but elegant and inviting.  I poured it into the glass I had beer clean; I think a tulip glass would enhance the experience.  Next time.  Mouthfeel is a little light but has a full carbonation bite from the bottle conditioning.  Taste is sweet and bready with a woodsy note, fruit and hop spice.  Semi-dry finish lets the spice and fruit linger nicely on the tongue.

At 9.5% ABV, it's a super easy drinking Belgian ale that lives up to their dangerous reputation. Brimstone seems to be light for the style, at least compared to my mental image.  An approachable beer, it would be great to share at a party.  As it warms, the balance improves and the spice crescendos.  I like it and I'll buy it again, but not impressed to the point of buying it often.

No comments:

Post a Comment